Thursday, January 15, 2009

The amazing celebration




Wow, today was spectacular! We visited another village today twice the size of the first! I think there was about 2000 people. It was a very different experience than the first. When I walked out of the car I saw a girl smiling at me, she took my hand and walked around fast, I felt very special. Once I walked a few feet there was about 500 people, clapping and cheering. Women made high pitch screaming and threw popcorn at us. All of us, the 4 dads 5 daughters walked through the crowd of people. I felt very weird, everyone was staring at me, I don’t think they ever saw a white person before. We walked down to their new well and Scott, Chloe, and Luke cut the ribbon to the new well. They made a bread cake that said “Welcome charity water.”

Later a few people had to make a speech, an Ethiopian man, an Ethiopian women an Ethiopian girl and us, 4 dads 5 daughters. I felt a little nervous about this but I knew if I did it yesterday I could do it again. I said “thank you” in my own way, and when I ended I made a big smile and two thumbs up. Some people laughed. Now it was my dads time to talk he said “thank you” in his own way and then said he would love to make a well in a school there. When it was translated everyone in the crowd started to clap so much! The women started making the high pitch screaming again.

It was a great day! When I was leaving all the kids gathered around my car and gave two big thumbs up! They were so cute, I felt really good. I left happy, but very sleepy after my long day. I feel strongly about the children’s education and if girls get to school at noon because they must get water, than they will not learn as much as they should. Some schools have water but some don’t. Hopefully in a few years all the schools can have clean safe drinking water at school.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carley,

    Thanks for some great descriptions of what things are like there in Ethiopia!

    Scott's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carley!!!
    I am so proud of your speech. You did great! I hope to see you when you return for a bit. I want to hear all about your trip. I think education is very important too. Two thumbs up!

    Love
    Aunt Rere

    ReplyDelete
  3. dearest carley, i have tears in my eyes , you spoke so beautiful and i know with your beautiful heart, you spread not only hopes of water for every school but love and cheer to all these kids .
    we love you , you little hero and good will ambassador , the world is a little better today, one person at the time.
    and as a worlds citizen i thank you.
    love , aunt lala

    ReplyDelete