Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mirror, mirror on the wall.

After a reasonably long drive we arrived at Berties Well – we were given a traditional welcome of music, dancing and popcorn! We moved onto the Well where along with the priest and other local important people we were asked to cut the ribbon and open the new well. From the new well we moved to the old water source which was filthy and we learned that it was a source of lots of health problems and that the clinic was over two hours walk away.

Later when I was taking pictures of the children at the well, Gebre was telling me that the people did not really understand what camera’s and photographs were. When I showed the children the photo I took of them on the camera display screen, they looked very confused. Gebre told me a story that he took a picture of 3 boys, and showed one of the boys and asked him who was in the picture. The boy said well they are my two friends, but I don’t know who he is (pointing at himself). Of course he would not know what he looks like, as they do not have mirrors, to me I could not understand this, because of course I look in the mirror before I leave the house, to check I do not have toothpaste or breakfast down me. But here that probably would not worry them, but not knowing how you look! Its just so different here its like a separate world.

No comments:

Post a Comment